How can you safely shut down your Mac if your mouse stops working?
- How To Shut Down Apple Computer Without Mouse
- Apple Computer Will Not Shut Down
- Command To Shut Down Apple Computer
If needed, press ⌘tab to visit each open application, and use ⌘S to save your work. Press ⌘tab until the Finder is the front application.
- This article was co-authored by Chiara Corsaro.Chiara Corsaro is the General Manager and Apple Certified Mac & iOS Technician for macVolks, Inc., an Apple Authorized Service Provider located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Was founded in 1990, is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with an A+ rating, and is part of the Apple Consultants Network (ACN).
- Choose Shut Down from the Apple menu. After the Mac shuts down, press and hold the right Shift key, the left Option key, and the left Control key for seven seconds. Then keep holding those keys while you press and hold the power button for another seven seconds.
- This lesson I teach you how to turn off or shut down your Mac / Apple computer or laptop. If you have any suggestions for fut.
If there is a Finder window open, fine. If not, press ⌘N to get one.
The main reason for letting your Mac sleep instead of shutting it down is that your Mac can’t perform maintenance tasks during the night if you shut it down. MacOS does a lot every night while your Mac isn’t being used and it is “sleeping”. Apple actually has a term for this sleep mode — “Power Nap”. Shutting down your Mac is as simple as clicking on the Apple logo on the menu bar at the top of your screen, then choosing “Shut Down” followed by “Shut Down” in the box that appears. If you’re feeling particularly impatient, you can hold the Option button on your keyboard while clicking the menu option to prevent that confirmation.
Press Control-Tab to get the text cursor into the spotlight window in the upper right.
- Use the arrow up/down keys to select the Terminal application from the search results.
Press ⌘O to open the Terminal
In the terminal window type:
How To Shut Down Apple Computer Without Mouse
Apple Computer Will Not Shut Down
sudo shutdown -h now
- Press return.
Enter your password. Your Mac will shut down.
Command To Shut Down Apple Computer
Can you think of an easier way?
This tip was created and tested on MacOS 10.6.5. It should work on any version of MacOS X since spotlight was introduced.