Ratio simplifier and converter calculator
- The calculation for a 16:9 video resolution aspect ratio, given the width or height value. Read up about the 16:9 aspect ratio. Calculating width. To calculate the 16:9 width for your height value: (height. 16) / 9. It is height multiplied by 16 then divided by 9. (1080. 16) / 9 = 1920. 1920 x 1080 (1123. 16) / 9 = 19444.
- Therefore, 16 centimeters wide and 9 centimeters high image as well as 32 centimeters wide and 18 centimeters high image has the same 16:9 aspect ratio. How to Use Our Calculator In order to find out the aspect ratio of an image or video, both width and height should be known in advance.
This calculator performs operations to solve problems that involve ratios. You may do the following:
- Simplify a known ratio (like simplifying a fraction).
- Convert a ratio to 1:n form (like you often see in maps).
- Convert a ratio to n:1 form.
- Find equivalent ratios.
To simplify a ratio enter the terms (antecedent and consequent) of the ratio in the cells marked respectively A and B, and and press 'Simplify'. This will reduce the ratio to its simplest form.
This tool by Wistia helps you calculate aspect ratios and pixel dimensions of video. With widescreen 16:9, 4:3, and anamorphic 21:9, this can be used to make sure you are working at the correct video resolution. How does this proportion calculator work? This math tool allows you solve ratios in any of the following situations: By specifying two numbers (A and B in the first fraction area) from the four numbers of the proportion (decimals are allowed) it will display the complete and true ratio by filling in the right values for the rest of two numbers (C and D).
To convert a ratio to 1:n form or to n:1 form enter the terms of the ratio, also in A and B, and press '1:n' or 'n:1'
If you wish to find an equivalent ratio use the fields in the second line to enter any three of the known values, then click 'Calculate'.
How does the ratio simplifier and converter work
To simplify the ratio, this calculator uses the same procedure as the one used to simplify fractions.
To convert the ratio to 1:n form, the calculator divides both numbers by the antecedent term (A). To convert to n:1 form, it divides both numbers by the consequent number (B).
To calculate the missing value in equivalent ratios it applies one of the following formulas depending on which one is the missing value:
- If the missing value is A:
- If the missing value is B:
- If the missing value is C:
- If the missing value is D:
What is a ratio
Ratio is a way to describe the relationship between two related numbers. Ratios are used in many diverse activities of our life: In maps they express the scale of the map (1:63360 means that one inch on the map represents 63360 inches or 1 mile in the real world). In recipes they can be used to describe the proportions of each ingredient (2 cups of water for every cup of rice).
Screen Size Calculator
Ratios can be also expressed as fractions and can be calculated following the same rules.